Walchandnagar Industries Limited (WIL) designs, manufactures and supplies
- Critically high speed Gear Drive system ( Increaser as well reducer ) as per API 613 standards for turbines & gas compressors.
- Multistage low speed reducers parallel as well orthogonal orientation.
- Heavy Duty planetary drive systems for Sugar Mill, Cement mills etc.
- Main propulsion gear units for marine application.
- Heavy duty custom built gear units as drop replacements ( single & double helical ).
- Contract manufactured drive systems as per client’s design.
- Refurbishment / servicing of any make heavy duty drive up to 100 Ton.Also produces drive solution based on Design Standards like ISO 6336, DIN 3990, AGMA 6011/H98, ABS, LRS & IRS with double as well as single helical tooth design across various industrial segments.
- “ The only INDIAN manufacturer of propulsion drive system for submarine.”
- WIL follows the design philosophy of MAAG Gears with whom we had Technical Collaboration spanning more than two decades in the past. The design philosophy, manufacturing procedures, precision machinery and heat treatment equipment were acquired from their works at Switzerland.
- WIL has worked jointly with DCNS France for manufacture and supply of Raft Mounted Gearboxes for Anti Submarine Warfare Corvettes.
- WIL has also recently entered into agreement with Timken / Philadelphia Gears, USA- to supply marine gear boxes for offshore patrol vessels.
- Today the Gear division has a full fledged in house design and engineering set up coupled with state of the art manufacturing facilities.
- Over the last 45 years WIL Gear division has supplied and served Defense, Sugar, Cement, Steel, Paper, Hydroelectric, Fertilizer and Petro-chemical industry along with power sector.
- WIL is closely associated with design, manufacture and supply of Gear Boxes for various programs of Indian Navy for Leander class Frigates, Survey Vessels, Aircraft Carrier, Corvette class vessels, Fleet tankers, Nuclear Powered Submarines, Anti Submarine Warfare Corvettes etc. with power up to 24000 hp.
Gearing & associated component design
Gear and machine element analysis using kiss soft
3D Solid modeling – PRO E & SOLID WORKS
Finite element analysis using ANSYS & Pro-Mechanica
Rotor dynamic analysis using RBTS
Design and analysis of Fixed & Flexible profiles Sliding bearing for radial and thrust forces
Critical speed analysis for lateral and torsional vibrations including un-damped unbalance response
FEA based under water shock analysis
Special Manufacturing Capabilities
Gear teeth shaping machine upto 5000 mm dia and face width up to 500 mm
German Hofler Rapid 2600 grinding machine capable of grinding gears to DIN-1 quality standard. Machine is equipped with grinding of internal gear (Spur & Helical teeth) as well as an inbuilt gear testing facility for both external & internal gears.
Electronically controlled furnace for case carburizing and hardening of gear as per patented CARBO MAAG process.
Full speed, no load testing as per API – 613 Load.
Load testing using Water brake dynamometer up to 1.2 mw
Load Testing using Back to back method up to 10mw.
Certification from World Known Quality Surveillance Agencies
WIL specializes in Re – engineering on existing Gearboxes. Well equipped to refurbish gearboxes up to 40 MW.
New life to old gears and gearboxes
Periodic maintenance & Re-engineering
Overhaul & Re – engineering
Gearboxes up to 20 MW
Carries out on site overhauling of Gearbox of any make
Drop-in gearbox on existing foundation
1) Mr. G K Sinha, Vice President – Gear Division
Walchandnagar Industries Ltd.
15/1/B-2 G.A. Kulkarni Path, Kothrud,
Pune – 411 038, Maharashtra, India.
Phone: +91 9607983897
2) Mr. Murlidhar Yelmar, General Manager(Marketing-Spares)
Mobile: +91 9325128049
3) Mr. Rahul Pardeshi , DGM
Phone – +91 (020)30252517, Mo. +91 9370247650
WIL develops gearboxes for almost every application. WIL has supplied and serviced Gear Boxes for Sugar, Cement, Steel, Paper, Hydel, Fertilizer and Petro-chemical industry along with Power sector. It has also made forays in Defence sector by providing Main Propulsion Gear boxes for almost every type of ship for Indian Navy.
Gear Box development involves the following
- Thoroughly understand the application and process.
- Size and Analyze the configuration.
- Design all the components and their interconnections.
- Analyze the performance of the system including prime mover, Gearbox and driven equipment.
- Optimize the sizes & geometries for the best operating performance of the total system.
- Match the performance with the driven and driving machines for the best overall results.
Design Standards followed
- API- 613
- API- 677
- AGMA- 6011- H 98
- AGMA-6010 F 97/ (AGMA-6113-A06)
- API- 671 for Couplings
- API-614 for Lub Oil systems (Out Sourced through approved Vendors)
- DIN-3962 For tooth accuracy
- Balancing Standards – As per ISO-1940-1986(E)/API.
Design & Manufacturing range
|Maximum Power Transmitted||24000 HP|
|Maximum Pitch Line Velocity||125 m/sec|
|Maximum Speed||30000 RPM|
|Maximum Weight of a Single Gearbox||65 Tons|
|Planetary Gearbox for Sugar Machinery||1400 HP|
|Planetary Gearbox for Cement Mills||3000 KW|
- Range upto 20 MW
- Speed upto 125 m/ sec
- Design standard
- AGMA 6011 I03
- API – 613
- Single / Double Helical Gears
- Maximum speed of turbine- 12000 RPM
- Special custom designed gearboxes for Indian Navy upto 18 MW
- Prime Mover- Diesel Engine or Steam Turbine
- Propeller- Fixed Pitch Or CPP
- Configuration- Unidirectional or Reverse Reduction
- Thrust Blocks- Integral or separately mounted
- Max Power : 6100 KW
- Vertical & Horizontal Offset Gearbox
- Single & Multi stage Gearbox
- Turbine speed : 75 to 350 rpm
- Alternator speed : 750 / 1000 rpm
- Design & testing for 3 times of the speed as per runaway condition
- Designed to accommodate higher thrust loads.
- High Speed reduction
- High Transmission efficiency
- 10 – 12 % power saving than conventional girth or open drive
- Torque value : 2230 KNm. Max
Key Contribution to Indian Navy
|Type of Ship||Gearbox Type||Power||Speed Ratio (RPM)||Quantity|
|Leander Class Frigates||1 DTA-170 W||15000 HP||5750/227||20|
|Survey Vessel||WGV-501||1960 HP||514/250||4|
|Aircraft Carrier||Aircraft Lift||93 HP||1000/163||2|
|Fleet Tanker||2MG-186W/ 2PTO||24000HP||600/120||1|
|LST (L)||K-63/63 ‘S’||3849 KW (5233HP)||1050/328.4||6|
|Nuclear Powered Submarine||GB-S3||18400 HP||4016.7/235||3|
|ASW Corvettes||SH12||2×3800 KW||1050/196||8|
Some Special Gear Boxes Developed
|K-40 ‘S’ Step-up Gearbox||CVRDE, Avadi, Chennai||250 KW, 2350/ 22000 RPM for Aircraft gearbox testing|
|Planetary Gearbox||M/s Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.||250 KW, 6000/30000 RPM for Mig-29 Fuel Pump testing|
|Drive Gearbox||VRDE, Ahmednagar||Gearbox developed for ‘Abhaya’ Tank|
|Planetary Gearbox||M/s Reliance Industries, Patalganga||WIL design for Centrifuge application|
|Annealer Gearbox||M/s Reliance Industries, Lucknow||Rollers for annealing of Yarn|